Your Xbox One power brick supplies power to your console and comes with built-in surge protection to shield the streaming device from damage. When the brick detects a power surge, it goes into standby mode. So, the console won’t work until you reset it. That should also mean if the power brick is faulty, you may not be able to stream your favorite TV shows and movies until you fix or replace it.
So, how do I fix my Xbox one power brick? Improve ventilation, ensure better power supply, adjust console settings, or reset the console to fix the power brick.
You can see that you shouldn’t worry if your power brink stops working. You can fix or replace it. So let’s dive into the details you need to fix your power brick with ease. If the event that doesn’t work, call a qualified technician for further support. Check out the list of the Best Xbox Games on Amazon now!
Do You Need the Power Brick for Xbox One?
You most likely do. Power brick functions like an original AC adaptor. It enables the console to derive the right voltage from the power mains. Besides, as already mentioned, it comes with built-in surge protection that protects your console from damage.
Please note that some people use Xbox without the power brick. You can do this too, but it’s a risky and complex process. So, we don’t recommend it.
However, if you have the latest version of Xbox One, like Xbox One S and Xbox One X, you don’t need it. This is because they have in-built power supplies.
Why Does My Xbox One Power Supply Keep Turning Off?
- Your Xbox One power supply can keep turning off if the console becomes too hot. If you get a message that the device is getting improper ventilation or detect that it’s too hot to touch, you need to address the underlying cause of the issue.
- You can also experience the problem if the power supply isn’t receiving the required voltage. This usually happens when Xbox’s power cord is plugged into a wall outlet via an extension cord or surge protector. A faulty power cord can also cause the problem.
- If your Xbox’s setting requires it to turn off automatically, you’ll experience the issue too. In some cases, when the system is corrupted, the problem may become rampant until you reset the console. Other than software issues, hardware-related problems can interfere with the proper functioning of your Xbox power brick.
How Do I Fix my Xbox One Power Brick?
If the power brick keeps turning off, here’s what you need to do:
1. Improve Ventilation
If the power bricks keep turning off due to the console’s temperature, follow these steps:
- Turn off Xbox One
- Ensure you wait for one hour or more
- Move your Xbox to a well-ventilated place
- Turn on the device
2. Ensure the Better Power Supply
If the console is not hot, troubleshoot the power supply. As we noted briefly, your surge protector or extension might be interfering with the power brick’s ability to derive the right amount of voltage and power. To solve this, plug your Xbox’s power cord directly into the wall outlet.
3. Ensure the Console Settings Serve You Well
If the settings are causing the power brick to keep turning off, you can fix it by doing this:
- Power on your Xbox
- Press the Xbox button on the controller
- Navigate to Profile & System and then to Settings and select Power mode & Start up
- Go under Options and select Turn off after
- Select Don’t turn off automatically
3. Perform System Reset
If your Xbox system is corrupt, you should reset the system with ease by using the console. Here’s how you can do this:
- Press the Xbox button
- Select Settings and proceed to Console Info.
- Select Reset console
- Choose Reset and remove everything or Reset and keep games & apps
4. Contact Xbox Customer Support
If you follow the above steps but fail to fix the power brick, there could be advanced-level issues. Xbox customer support can guide you on how to go about it. You can reach out to them.
How to Power Xbox One without a Brick
If your Xbox is designed to receive power through a power brick, you should ensure you either fix or replace it. Here is a solution you can use if you can’t see a technician immediately:
- Unplug the cable that connects the console and the power brick (Only disconnect the part that goes into the power adapter.)
- Ensure the end that goes into the console’s back and the wall socket remains plugged in firmly
- Plug the part of the cable that goes into the adapter halfway until it produces a cracking sound.
- Wiggle the cable plug until the LED indicator on the power unit produces steady orange light.
- Power on the console
With these steps, your Xbox should work perfectly even though the power supply is faulty.
How Do You Reset the Xbox One Power Supply?
As mentioned, the power supply can go into a standby mode when power surges beyond the allowed limit. In this case, you should rest the power bricks by following these steps:
- Unplug the cables from the power supply, electrical wall outlet, and the console
- Wait for not less than 10 minutes for the unit to reset
- Plug the power cable into the power supply and the wall electrical outlet
- If the LED is on, plug the power supply into your Xbox
- If the LED light remains steady, plug in the console
Note that you should not connect the console until you are sure the power brick is in its best working condition. This is aimed at preventing damage.
How Do I Fix the Red Light on My Xbox One Power Brick?
The red light indicates the power brick cannot supply the required voltage. It can also destroy your console. To fix it, you should follow the tips we’ve learned above to:
- Enhance ventilation
- Ensure adequate power supply
- Perform System Reset
Is the Xbox One Power Brick Supposed to Stay On?
Not a must. When the console is on standby mode, the power stick should go white. It should be steady yellow when the device is on, and there are no issues. When you turn off your console, the brick can go amber, depending on the settings. Some stay off when Xbox is switched off.Check out the list of the Best Xbox Games on Amazon now!
The ultimate decision depends on your preference, but you have all the reasons to fix your power brick. You don’t have to spend much time or money. Besides, you don’t have to be tech-savvy. All you require to get started is the knowledge we’ve shared in this article.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.