Every modern home needs Fire Stick since it brings full entertainment that families need to stay happy. Many users often worry when they learn that the device connects to WiFi, but not the Internet. Having understood the seriousness of this matter, I researched and wrote this detailed post.
So, how can my Fire Stick be connected to WiFi but not the Internet? If your Fire Stick is receiving low signal strength or has VPN problems, it can connect to WiFi but not the Internet. Worn Ethernet cables and router and Fire Stick issues can also cause the same problem.
These Internet connectivity problems can appear overwhelming. Nonetheless, that shouldn’t be the case. Read on for what causes the issue and how to fix it without difficulty. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Why Does Fire Stick Say it is Connected to WiFi but NO Internet?
Poor or Weak Signal Strength
When your Fire Stick receives inadequate signals, the device can connect to WiFi but fail to access the server. Some of the factors that determine WiFi signal strength are:
- WiFi router positioned far away from the device
- Interference from other plugged-in electronic devices
- Low-quality service
To check your signal strength, you can follow these steps:
- Select Settings on the Fire Stick home screen
- Click Network
- Check on the right to see what the device says under Signal Strength
This applies if you’re using a VPN that can automatically block internet connection whenever you get disconnected from the server, it could be the cause of the problem.
VPN can keep your Fire Stick secure and safeguard your privacy, but you need to understand how to use it to minimize interruptions. If it is using the wrong connection protocol, you are likely to have the same experience.
Worn Ethernet Cable
If you are not using the wireless option, you may not establish an Internet connection if the cables are not working. The simplest way to determine whether this is the problem is to try using a different Ethernet cable or plugging it into a different device like a laptop.
Router and Fire Stick Issues
Firmware-related errors can prevent internet connection. They are easy to resolve. However, hardware-related defaults, which are more complex, can also cause the same issue.
How to Fix Fire Stick Connected to WiFi But not Internet Problem
Once you realize that your Fire Stick is connected to WiFi but not the Internet, do the following to solve the problem:
1. Check the WiFi Signal is Strength
You should ensure the signal strength is excellent. If it is anything else other than ‘Very Strong,” find out what might be hindering the device from receiving WiFi signals properly.
- Ensure your modem/WiFi router is positioned within 20-25 feet from the device. If you can’t do this, ask your ISP to reposition it.
- Minimize interferences from other plugged-in devices. Keep the router/modem far away from these devices.
- Use high-quality cables
If you have done everything in your power but failed to fix the problem, consider getting in touch with your ISP.
2. Forget Network
If the signal strength is “Very Strong,” other factors could be responsible for the lack of Internet connection. One of the best ways to fix the error is to disconnect and reconnect the WiFi.
Here are the steps you should follow for the device to forget the network:
- Open Fire Stick Settings
- Click Network
- Choose your WiFi network
- Press the 3-line button or the menu key on the remote to forget the network
- Press Select on the remote to confirm your selection
- Reconnect by clicking your WiFi network
- Enter your password
- Click Connect
You can use this same method if you have two WiFi networks at home, especially if there is a chance your Fire Stick is connecting to the weaker one.
After forgetting the network, connect the strong one.
3. Reconnect to Your VPN
The reconnection process differs slightly depending on the type of VPN. Nonetheless, you only need to open the VPN app and click once to reconnect to the server in most cases.
If the VPN is connected, check whether it has picked the right connection protocol. Most of these apps do so by default. However, they can accidentally change the settings and cause this connectivity problem without your knowledge.
Here is how you can change the connection protocol:
- Navigate to the Settings
- Click VPN Protocol
- Select Automatic (It’s the recommended protocol).
4. Restart Your Fire Stick
If none of the above methods helps you establish an Internet connection, there could be an error in your Fire Stick’s Operating System or some of its applications. It would be best to refresh the OS, all the apps, and connections by rebooting it.
There are three optional ways of restarting your Fire Stick. These are:
- Unplug the device and wait for approximately 15 seconds
- Plug it back again
- Wait for a few minutes for the device to be back online
From Remote Shortcut
- Hold down Play/Pause on your remote and Select concurrently
- Wait for the Fire Stick to restart
From Fire Stick Setting Menu
- Go to Settings and select My Fire TV
- Click Restart
- Click Restart again to confirm
- Wait for the Fire Stick to reboot
5. Restart WiFi Router/ Modem
If everything is fine with router/modem settings, a simple restart could fix the error.
Follow these steps:
- Power off the router and modem and wait for about 30 seconds
- Return the router and wait for reconnection
- Reconnect the Fire Stick once the modem/router fully reboots and connects
6. Reset Fire Stick to Factory Settings
If nothing seems to work after all the hard work, you need to delete all your apps and settings and start afresh. Experts use it as a matter of last resort.
Follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings and choose My Fire TV
- Click Reset to Factory Defaults
- Click Reset
Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
At least one of the above troubleshooting tips should help fix your Fire Stick’s Internet connectivity issue. That’s what happens in most cases. If your experience is different, get in touch with Amazon Device Support. Alternatively, you can return the device to the point of purchase and pick another one.