Apple TV makes for a great device for streaming movies, TV shows, and music. If you want to install third-party apps on your Apple TV, you should understand whether your model is compatible with the apps. If not, you can jailbreak your Apple TV before installing the apps.
How to Install 3rd Party Apps on a Jailbroken Apple TV? Install an app like Plex or XMBC that is compatible with your jailbroken Apple TV. Choose and install the 3rd party apps of your choice.
If you can jailbreak your Apple TV successfully, you have nothing to worry about whether you have the old or new models. Read on for simple tips for adding third-party apps on your Apple TV. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Can You Download Apps On Apple TV? Which Models?
It depends on your TV model. If you have the 4th or 5th generation Apple TV, you can download the apps with ease. In some cases, you can jailbreak the older generations and add the apps.
How Do I Add Apps to My Apple TV 4th/5th Gen?
To add apps to your Apple TV 4th or 5th Gen, here are the steps that you should follow:
- Power on your Apple TV and connect it to your WIFI network.
- Go to the home screen and then find and select the App Store with your remote control.
- Use one of the six navigation options mentioned below to locate your desired app.
- Discover: It features curated lists of games and apps, along with the list of the most popular choices.
- Apps: This option contains a list of the most popular video apps. Moreover, it allows you to browse by category.
- Games: It’s dedicated to standalone game apps.
- Arcade: It shows applications that are part of the Apple Arcade platform where you have access to a pre-selected library of games for a one-month fee.
- Purchased: This option allows you to browse the apps you downloaded on other compatible devices or that you’ve bought.
- Search: You can use the magnifying glass to search for apps that you know by name already.
Note: Regardless of which of these options you use to download your favorite app, the instructions you should follow to download or install it are the same.
- After finding the app, click either the indicated price or the Get button to download it.
Note: For free apps, the Get button will be displayed instead of the price.
- The app will get installed automatically. Please tap on the Open button to launch it.
Can You Install 3rd Party Apps on Apple TV?
Yes, you can do that. As you can see in the last section, we’ve provided a detailed step-by-step guide that can help you download and add 3rd party apps on your Apple TV. You can also follow a slightly different approach to install these apps on your jailbroken App TV.
How to Install 3rd Party Apps on a Jailbroken Apple TV?
If you want to install 3rd party apps on a jailbroken Apple TV, you should do this:
- Ensure you use the right tool to jailbreak the TV. Some of the most efficient ones are:
- iJail breakPro
- Install third-party apps like Plex and XMBC that are compatible with your jailbroken Apple TV.
- Select and install Apple TV third-party apps of your choice.
Note: You need to choose software that the jailbreaking community has designed for the version of your tvOS.
Can You Download Apps on Old Apple TV 1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen?
It’s important to note that it’s almost impossible to jailbreak Apple TV, 3rd generation. Moreover, like the 1st and 2nd Gen, it doesn’t come with Apple App Store for third-party apps. So, all you can do if you have this model is enable automatic updates.
However, if you’ve jailbroken your App TV, you can install a tool such as Plex and use it to download compatible apps on your TV set. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
How Do I Add Apps to My Old Apple TV 1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen?
As already mentioned, you might never be able to download apps on some old Apple TVs, especially the 3rd Gen. That implies you might not add third-party apps on these models. If you successfully jailbreak your old generation Apple TV, you can use the same steps above to add apps to it.
Before you opt to jailbreak it, please remember that the practice can remove all the security features associated with your TV. Sometimes, it can render your device useless. So, we don’t recommend this option mainly due to safety concerns.
However, it would be best if you didn’t ignore the risk of damage.
The safest way to add apps to your old Apple TV is to update it. Apple no longer supports the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd models. So, it’s no longer adding new channels to them. However, when the TV debuted, it had a few apps. By the time the company stopped supporting these models, there were plenty of channels. So, if you’ve never updated your Apple TV since the company stopped offering the service, you could try updating it to add more channels.
Here are the steps you can follow to update your old Apple TV:
- Go to Settings.
- Proceed to Software Updates.
- Select Update Software.
- If you find an update, download and install it.
- Wait for the download to complete (don’t unplug or disconnect your Apple TV until the process is complete).
- After downloading, your Apple TV will restart, prepare and install the updates
- Find out whether you have new apps.
If your Apple TV lacks some apps that you need to enhance your entertainment experience, you now know what you should do. You can download and install your favorite apps on your 4th and later generation Apple TVs without any problem. The process is as easy as installing apps on an iPad or iPhone. However, if you want to install the apps on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen Apple TV, you should consider jailbreaking it. If that fails, update your TV or replace it with a new generation Apple TV, and you’ll continue enjoying quality content.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.