Roku has risen as one of the leading digital media player brands globally over the past decade. Despite having millions of fans around the globe, the brand is often criticized for irritating bugs in its devices, such as the remote.
What to do when the Roku remote isn’t working? You need to re-pair the remote through the ROKU menu. Navigate to Settings>Remotes Devices>Remotes> Select your remote>Set up remote for TV control. You can also reset your remote. Take out the batteries, unplug your Roku device, wait for 1 minute, plug it back in, replace the batteries and hold down the reset button(it’s in the battery compartment of the Roku remote) until the remote re-pairs.
Many users often complain that they cannot operate the volume level using the Roku remote. In this article, we will diagnose and resolve this common problem in the simplest way possible. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Why Is Roku Volume Not Working?
Have you been wondering why you have to stare at a mute Roku screen? You do not need to worry as you know what is causing your Roku volume not to work. Before we jump to the solution, let us try to understand what may have gone wrong.
The most reoccurring cause of this issue has always been loose or damaged wiring. If your Roku remote is unable to produce audio, there is likely a problem with the HDMI connection used to connect your TV to your Roku device.
In the end, there can be only two further possibilities. The first could be that your HDMI cable is loosely connected to the Roku device, while the second possibility could be that the wire or port is damaged and needs replacement.
Wrong Audio Output
It is also possible that the problem may lie in the configuration settings of the Roku device or TV. If the audio output channel is incorrectly selected, the system will not have any audio.
An issue with Roku Remote
The internet is full of complaints and criticism against Roku remotes when it comes to volume problems. The past tells us that Roku remotes can easily get misconfigured or malfunctioned. Damages to the buttons or internal circuitry may result in making the volume controls useless.
Physical damage to the Roku remote is not easily solvable. One needs technical knowledge and practice to open and operate on a hardware device. However, we can quickly check and see if your Roku remote configuration settings are in place or not.
Here are few things you can try at home to fix your Roku remote:
- Replace the batteries in your remote.
- Press all the buttons on your remote one by one a few times to make sure one of them did not get stuck.
- Remove the batteries from the remote, hold the power button for 10 seconds, place the batteries back in.
How To Get The Volume To Work On Your Roku Remote?
Since this article is more focused on the Roku remote, it is essential to discuss how to resolve the issue if the problem lies in the Roku remote itself. As mentioned earlier, it is difficult to repair a damaged Roku remote. Therefore, this section aims to teach you how to fix a misconfigured Roku remote. We will explore and learn two ways to revive the volume of your Roku system by working with the Roku remote.
Properly Setup your Roku Remote
Your Roku remote will not fully control your Roku media player device or Roku TV until it is sufficiently paired and integrated with the entire system. The power and volume buttons on your Roku remote will not work unless the device has been set up for TV control. Here is a precise step-by-step guide on how to set up the Roku remote power and volume button:
- Firstly, on the home page of our Roku device, we will scroll down to Settings.
- Select “Remotes” or “Remotes & Devices.”
- If you have not gone through the initial essential setup stage, select the “Set up a new device” option. Otherwise, select the “Remotes” option.
- Once you complete the initial setup, select the “About” option. In the About section, select “Set up remote for TV control.”
- The Roku player/TV will display a prompt and start playing music as soon as you choose this option. At this point, increase the volume using the Roku remote.
- Answer the prompt by choosing “Yes” or “No,” depending on whether you can hear the music or not.
- If you end up not hearing the music at all, it probably means either of the Roku devices or the connection between them is faulty. If you can listen to the music, continue following these instructions.
- You will get another prompt asking whether the music has stopped. Select “No” until the music stops.
- Select “Ok” and go to the homepage. Now, your Roku remote should be able to control the volume of your Roku devices.
Reset your Roku Remote
This solution focuses more on a case where you have been using your Roku remote for some time. If your Roku remote starts acting abnormal suddenly during use, you can try a reset on your remote.
It is essential to know that there are two types of Roku remotes: enhanced and standard infrared. We only reset enhanced Roku remotes as the standard infrared ones are incompatible. Here is how you can reset your enhanced Roku remote:
- Remove the batteries from the Roku remote.
- Unplug the power supply from your Roku media player/TV. Please wait for 5 to 10 seconds before plugging it back in again.
- Insert the batteries back in the remote.
- A reset button is present in the battery compartment of the Roku remote. Press and hold it for at least five seconds.
- A light should start flashing on the remote. A notification will appear on the screen in about thirty seconds once the reset and re-pair are complete. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Roku devices are indeed potent and valuable. They are simple to use in most cases. However, issues like the one we discussed can cause unnecessary stress to the user. In this article, we tried to break down the various causes and the solutions to a mute Roku system and malfunctioning Roku Remote. Our goal was to keep the process clear and precise. If neither of the solutions works, we suggest that you should reach out to the customer service at Roku. We hope this article helps you save time and resolve your problem quickly and comfortably.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.