In most cases, the problem preventing a PowerA controller from turning on is related to the cable, connection port, firmware issues, or internal hardware failure.
How to fix your wired PowerA controller? Disconnect and then reconnect all the cables properly, check for any dust or dirt. Power cycle your devices. Turn off your PlayStation/Xbox/PC, and unplug them from the power outlet, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, then plug the devices back in.
Some of these can be solved at home, while others can’t. Check out the best streaming sticks on Amazon that won’t let you down!
Why Is My Wired PowerA Controller Not Working?
The common problems that can keep a PowerA controller from turning on include:
1. Driver Issues
If you’ve bought a new controller or this is the first time you’re connecting it to your PC, it is most probably a driver issue. If this is the case, jump to the final section of this article.
2. Cable Problems
A wired controller relies on the cable for power and to communicate with the console. The cable can understandably go bad at times, even by regular wear and tear.
When they do so, these cables fail internally, so you can’t necessarily tell if it’s bad just by looking at it. However, if your cable looks frayed or if the copper inside is exposed at points, it explicitly means your cable has failed.
3. Broken Port
When in heavy use, cables are often attached and detached numerous times. This attaching and detaching can sometimes damage the ports, causing connectivity issues.
4. Faulty Connections
Sometimes, dust or cloth fibers can enter these ports. This does not allow the points in the port and cable to connect appropriately, causing your controller to fail.
5. Firmware Problems
A controller may fail to turn on again when a driver firmware update fails or is interrupted.
6. Internal Faults
Due to the physical stress a controller is in while being used, the parts inside can get damaged, preventing the controller from turning on.
How to Fix a Wired PowerA Controller?
Here are some troubleshooting steps and solutions you can follow to solve your Power A controller issues:
1. Check the Cable
Have a good look at the cable you use with the controller. If you see any signs of frayed rubber or exposed metal along the length of the cable or at the ends, it is highly probable your cable has given up on you.
Try connecting another cable that you know (for sure) is working perfectly.
2. Check the Ports
Have a look at the port on your controller as well as on your device. See if there’s anything stuck in there. If so, try to clean the socket carefully using a toothpick or needle while the device is turned off and unplugged. Try connecting your controller to a different port on your PC or Xbox.
3. Power Cycle your Device
Turn off your PlayStation, Xbox, or PC, and unplug it from its power source. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds.
This resets all the hardware components inside your device. Finally, plug in your device and power it up. Connect your controller to see if it works again.
How To Reset a Wired PowerA Controller?
To reset the advanced gaming buttons on your PowerA controller:
- Press and hold old the program button down for 2 seconds until the center LEDs slowly flash red. The controller will now be in program mode.
- Hold down the program button for 5 seconds to reset all buttons to no function.
PowerA Xbox One Wired Controller Not Working on PC
Although PowerA does not provide drivers for their controllers, there are other resources for you to get the drivers you need. If your PC runs Windows, you can find the drivers through the following steps:
- Make sure the PowerA controller is connected to the Windows PC via a USB cable.
- Launch the Control Panel via the Start menu.
- In the Control Panel, click on “Hardware and Sound” and launch the Device Manager.
- Once the Device Manager opens, right-click on the “PowerA Controller” device in the “Other devices” category and click on the “Update Driver Software…” option.
- On the pop-up window that opens, click on the “Browse my computer for driver software” button.
- Select the option that says “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
- Select the “Microsoft Xbox One Controller” and press the “Next” button.
- On the next window, choose “Xbox Gaming Device” and click on the “Next” button.
- When prompted with the “Update Driver Warning” warning, select “Yes.”
- The PowerA controller should now appear as “Xbox Gaming Device” at the Device Manager under a “Microsoft Xbox One Controller” category.
Windows 10 also has a native driver system included in its update system. By installing the latest updates available for your device, you will ensure that your PC is always running the latest software and hardware drivers.
To check for the latest updates for your Windows 10 device:
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Update & Security.”
- Open the “Windows Update” tab.
- Click “Check for Updates.”
- Download and install any available updates.
Check out the best streaming sticks on Amazon that won’t let you down!
This guide should help you troubleshoot and solve any simple issues with your wired PowerA controller. However, nothing can solve an internal component failure.
If none of the steps we have shared solve your problem, it may be time to contact PowerA for help (if you’re still under the warranty period) or purchase a replacement.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.