Imagine watching your favorite movie or show on the TV when the screen suddenly goes black.
No one wants to go through such an experience.
The good news is that you can fix it with ease in no time if you understand a few basic tips.
How do I fix the black screen on my TV? Ensure proper cable connection and remove the Power Saver Mode/ Sleep Timer Mode, if necessary. If that doesn’t work, double-check your external sources, set the TV input correctly, update your firmware, or reset the TV. If nothing works, you can contact a competent technician.
When your TV screen is black, it means several things, as we shall see shortly.
However, you can fix it. Read on for more on what causes this problem and how you fix it quickly and easily. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Why Is My TV Screen Black?
Irrespective of your TV’s make or model, its screen can turn black due to the following reasons:
- Cable connection problem: Whenever the connections between the power source and the TV, the input source, and the remaining auxiliary devices are loose, the screen can become unresponsive and black. After extensive research, we have discovered that loose connections and inactive power sources are common underlying reasons behind this.
- Damaged or low-quality cables are also in the team of the leading culprits.
- Sources issue: Problems related to your DVD player, streaming devices, and other external devices can make the screen can go blank when you least expect it. They should be in their best working condition. Your TV’s settings should also allow them to function. One practical way to determine whether this is the underlying problem is to connect the external device to different ports on the television. You can also connect it to other TVs or connect other devices to the TV.
- You might find that it’s an inputs-settings problem. This occurs when the TV is set on the wrong input.
- Firmware issues: If the firmware has not been updated for a while, software errors and compatibility issues could be the underlying problem. Though rare, you can experience software errors even if the TV’s firmware is up-to-date.
- Power Saver Mode/ Sleep Timer Mode: If the TV’s screen randomly goes off, you might have activated one of these modes. Whenever the screen is idle, your screen automatically begins to save more power or sleep.
- Hardware failure: The TV panel, power supply board, backlight, or other hardware components could be damaged. Backlight issues only affect LCD TVs. They use these devices to illuminate the images on the TV screen. You can tell whether your TV’s backlight is causing the problem by following these basic steps:
- Turn on the TV
- Turn off the light in the room
- Shine a flashlight on the TV’s screen
- Check whether you can see any image (If you can, the backlight is faulty)
Remember, unless you are a trained technician, you shouldn’t go beyond this.
Once you discover a hardware problem, call the experts.
Why Is My TV Screen Black, but I Can Hear It?
If your TV screen is black, but you can hear it, you could be dealing with something more serious than loose connections.
- The first thing to consider if you come across this issue is the TV’s input. If you use a faulty video game system, cable box, or any other, you might hear the sound without seeing the image. You can experience the same issue if the TV ports are the issue.
- A faulty HDMI cable is another common cause of this. The cable is designed to ensure you get quality images. So, if it’s faulty or loosely fitted, you are likely to get sound without images.
- As mentioned, LCD screens use backlights to illuminate the images. So, if they are burnt out and sound devices are working, you’ll have the experience.
- If you’ve activated the power saver mode, it might cause the screen to switch off. Some TVs do this automatically, but still produce sound.
- Some software issues can also hinder you from seeing images.
How Do I Fix the Black Screen on My TV?
Now you understand the nature of issues you might need to deal with when the screen turns black.
Let’s take a look at the best ways to fix the black screen on your TV.
1. Check Cable Connection
Ensure your TV set and your external sources are properly connected.
The coax and HDMI cables should be in the right working condition.
If that’s not the case, replace them.
Moreover, ensure they are properly plugged into the system.
2. Check the Power Saver Mode/ Sleep Timer Mode
Find out whether you or someone else activated these modes.
To remove them, go to settings and turn off the Energy Save Mode or Power Saver Mode.
The exact process may differ depending on your TV’s make.
If you have Samsung Smart TV, you can do this on your remote:
- Press Menu button
- Select System
- Click on Time
- Select Sleep Timer
- Choose OFF ( to turn the feature off)
If you want to turn off the power saving mode, do this using the remote:
- Press the Menu button
- Go to Settings on the television
- Choose Energy Saving Mode
- Select Off
3. Double-Check the Sources
Before you start double-checking your sources, press the Menu button on the remote.
If the menu appears on the screen, the TV is in good working condition.
This only applies if you can use a flashlight to see the images.
Ensure your input sources are in the best working order and are turned on.
If you troubleshoot as we explained above and realize the source is faulty, replace it.
You can also press the Source button and navigate to the settings to determine whether the source settings are ON or OFF.
4. Update the Firmware
This can solve many software-related issues.
Check your user manual to see how you can go about this. It’s simple.
For example, if you are a Samsung user, you can update the firmware on your remote by doing this:
- Press the Menu button
- Go to Settings
- Click on Support
- Click on Software Update
- Select Update Now
5. Reset the TV
The last option is to reset your TV.
You can reset your LG TV without a remote by pressing the power button for 30 seconds after unplugging it from the wall outlet.
If you have a different TV model, turn to your owner’s manual to know how to reset it with or without a remote. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Related Post: 5 Straightforward Ways To Fix The Black Screen On Your LG TV
Modern TV sets come with advanced features that are designed to improve your watching experience.
For example, most of them use an organic light-emitting diode that limits the chances of your screen turning black.
Once you understand your TV, you’ll know when to fix this issue alone, call an expert, purchase another one, or take advantage of your warranty.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.