An improperly functioning remote control can make your life a lot more inconvenient.
If you ever find that only the power button is working on your Insignia TV remote, that is, most likely, because your remote got disconnected from the TV.
To re-establish the connection between the TV and the remote, you would have to push the pair button located below the batteries, that is, if your remote has one.
If it doesn’t, simply press and hold the Home button (or Back, Left, Menu simultaneously if the Home button doesn’t work) on the remote for 10-30 seconds, pointing at the TV.
If you didn’t get any of that, don’t worry, all methods will be explained in detail in the article itself.
Why Is Only The Power Button Working On Your Insignia TV Remote?
There are quite a few things that can make your Insignia TV remote control become unresponsive:
- The connection between the TV and the remote has been lost (90% of the time this will be the culprit).
- The remote hasn’t been connected to the TV at all (this can happen, in case you just got the TV or the remote).
- The batteries in the remote are dying.
- The remote has a loose solder connection inside.
- You have spilled something on the remote control.
- You have dropped the remote way too many times.
- The remote has been exposed to extremely high temperatures. In such a case, the electronics inside the device could have gotten damaged.
- There is something that is blocking the TV receiver.
By the way, all the buttons on the remote control are Bluetooth-powered, except for the power button which is IR-controlled.
That’s why situations, when only the power button is working, are not uncommon.
How To Fix It?
Now that you know what has potentially caused the issue, let’s go ahead and fix it.
Here are my best suggestions.
Reset The Remote
The first thing that you should do, if only the power button is working on the remote, is reset the device.
Option 1: Use a dedicated reset button.
Use the reset button located somewhere near the battery compartment.
You will need to open the compartment first, and then you will see the reset button below the batteries, it is likely to be on the right side of the remote.
Simply press and hold it for about 10 seconds, that will reset the remote.
If your remote doesn’t have it, the rest of the options will be for you.
Option 2: Press the “Home” button.
You will simply need to press and hold the Home button on your remote for 10-30 seconds while pointing the remote at the TV.
The manual says 10, but you need to hold it for a bit longer just to be on the safe side.
If that didn’t help to pair the remote back to the TV, move on to the next option.
Option 3: Press the “Menu”, “Left”, and “Back” buttons.
Well, the name of this step says it all.
Press and hold the above-mentioned buttons for about 30 seconds pointing your remote to the TV, that should definitely help pair your remote back to the TV, restoring its full functionality.
Option 4: A bit of everything combined.
If step 3 didn’t work, I suspect your TV might be the problem as well.
Let’s combine a few steps together and see if it helps.
- Push the “Menu”, “Left”, and “Back” buttons at the same time. Hold them for around 10-30 seconds. Even though the buttons are not working, pushing this combination can force the remote to reset.
- After you have released the buttons, wait for about a minute.
- Unplug your Insignia Fire TV and remove the batteries from the remote control. Wait for another minute.
- Plug the device back in and insert the batteries into the remote (ideally, you would want to go for a fresh set).
- Press and hold the “Home” button on the remote for approximately 40 seconds.
- The reset should be complete in a minute or so.
Do A Simple Remote Reset
The previous instructions might seem a bit too complicated, so you may want to try simply taking the batteries out of the remote for 2-3 minutes and then putting them back in.
Give your remote a good shake, it might help if you had a loose connection or something got stuck in the remote.
Press each and every button on your remote a few times while it is still empty, then place the batteries back in.
If that didn’t help, then you would have to follow the steps above.
Reset The TV
If only the power button is working on your remote control, it doesn’t necessarily mean that there is something wrong with the device.
Your TV might be to blame.
Try resetting your remote and if it doesn’t help, then you would have to reset your Insignia Fire TV to factory settings.
Normally, you would reset your TV by navigating the main screen to “settings” and selecting “reset to factory defaults”.
But you won’t be able to do that if your remote is not working.
The good news is that you’re still left with a few options:
- Download the Insignia Remote application to your smartphone and use it to navigate the screen. Bear in mind that for this method to work, both your smartphone and the TV have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Unplug the TV from the power source for 1 minute, then plug it back in, this is called a soft reset.
- Reset the TV with the help of the buttons on the side or back panel.
- Push and hold the power button for around 10 seconds (you should see the screen change).
We talk more on how to use and reset your Insignia TV without the remote in the article below, go check it out if you need to:
Get A New Remote
If none of the tips mentioned above have helped, and you have already replaced the batteries in your remote control, then the only way out might be to get a new device.
Insignia remotes are typically quite cheap, so you wouldn’t have to break the bank to buy one.
If only the power button is working on your Insignia TV remote, then try repairing the devices and resetting the remote.
Also, don’t forget to make sure that the batteries inside the remote have not died.
You can also try resetting the remote.
If that didn’t help, then your TV might be to blame – perform a factory reset and see if that helps.
The good news is that you can always buy a new remote if none of the tips have helped.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.