We all love the feeling of laying back and playing a movie on our TVs over the weekend. It is the best way to relax and recharge after being burdened with work for the past week.
The most common reason for your Onn TV not connecting to WiFI is a faulty router and TV software glitches. To fix that, power cycle the TV by unplugging it from the wall outlet and then plugging it back in after 1 minute. Switch your router off for a few minutes, then turn it back on. If that didn’t work, factory reset your Onn TV.
One of the most annoying things that may occur is when your Onn TV simply won’t connect to WiFi. There is nothing to worry about because we have all the solutions you need. Check out the list of the best streaming devices on Amazon now!
Why Won’t Onn TV Connect to WiFi?
Here are some of the most common reasons your Onn TV may not be connecting to WiFi:
- Power cables are loose.
- There is a problem with your network provider.
- Login details are incorrect.
- The TV needs to be restarted.
- You need to reboot the modem.
- Network settings need to be modified.
No matter what issue you’re experiencing, we have a solution. Keep reading to figure out how to get your WiFi back.
The Network errors on Onn TV
Before delving into the solutions, it is best to walk you through the different error messages. This will help you know what to do based on the error that pops up. This will prevent you from trying out every single one of the solutions.
Here are some of the messages you may encounter:
- Unable to connect to the network. If this message pops up, your connection is likely timed out, has insufficient bandwidth, weak signal strength, or loose connections.
- Checking. This error message may come up if you have typed an incorrect password. It is best to double-check and key in the password again in this case.
- Not connected to the internet. This error tends to pop up while streaming or using the internet for content. It signifies network interruption.
- Loading. If your TV is connected to an internet network with weak bandwidth or signal strength, this message will most likely come up. You will need to improve your internet speed to fix this issue.
What to Do When Onn TV Won’t Connect to WiFi?
Whether your movie got interrupted midway, or your Onn Roku TV won’t connect to the internet, we can help you through it. Here are a few things you should do straight away if you experience a problem:
1. Power cycle your TV
This is a very simple, yet effective solution that has proven useful for many people. Sometimes a software glitch can prevent your Onn TV from connecting to the Internet properly. This method will fix that.
- Unplug your Onn TV from the wall outlet.
- Wait for about 1 minute.
- Plug it in again.
This will reset your TV and fix the WiFi connectivity problem.
2. Reboot Your Router
This is the second thing we recommend doing along with power cycling your TV. Try rebooting your router. Routers can develop connection issues over time as they are left running for long periods.
Sometimes a simple power cycle can put things right.
- Unplug the router from the power source.
- Wait for 1 minute.
- Plug it back in.
- Wait for the router to establish the connection.
- Find the reset button on your router.
- Press it.
- Wait for the router to establish the connection.
- Keep your router plugged in.
- Find its reset button.
- Use a paperclip to hold down the reset button for 30 seconds.
- Release the button.
- Wait for the router to power back on.
If all fails to work, you will probably need to consider buying a new WiFi module or contact our Internet provider to see if they can help eradicate the problem.
3. Restart your TV
Restarting the TV allows all your settings to refresh. So, if there are any problems there, restarting solves them. Simply remove the power cable and reinsert it after thirty seconds. If this doesn’t work, you will need to try a hard reset.
This is pretty similar to normally restarting. Turn off your TV and press the power button for 30 seconds. Then let go and turn it back on. This will quickly fix the problem.
4. Check For Loose Connections
Make sure your modem and TV are connected correctly. If anything is even slightly loose, it will fail to connect. It is best to reinsert all the cables to be sure that they are connected correctly.
There also shouldn’t be any dust or dirt on the cables to ensure proper WiFi connection.
5. Use Ethernet Cable
Let’s try to use an Ethernet cable to connect your Onn Roku TV directly to the router. This can be a temporary solution while you are fixing the wireless connection issue.
On top of that, if your TV connects to the Internet through the Ethernet cable, it means that your TV is fine and the router is the culprit which needs to be inspected. We explained how to do that in the previous step.
6. Reconnect Through Settings
At times, your Onn TV may not automatically connect to WiFi. The first thing to do is to go to your network settings and manually select your connection.
More often than not, an error causes it to disconnect momentarily, and this will solve it.
7. Forget the Network and Connect Again
If selecting your connection doesn’t work, forget the network. This disconnects your network from your Onn TV and requires you to input the password again.
So, forget the connection, and after a minute, select it and key in the password. Your WiFi should connect as usual and work again.
8. Factory Reset Onn TV
We will give you 2 ways of resetting your TV. The first one will require you to go into the TV’s settings. The second one will be manual in case you can’t use the first one.
Factory reset Onn TV through the Settings:
- Press Home on your remote.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll all the way down to System.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Select Factory Reset.
- Click Factory reset everything.
- Enter the access code and press OK.
Factory reset Onn TV through the physical reset button:
- Turn the TV on.
- Locate the Reset button at the side/back of your TV.
- Take a pen/paperclip, press and hold the Reset button for about 20 seconds.
- Wait for the TV to reboot and the logo to more ap.
9. Expired Network Subscription
This issue can occur because of your network provider as well. If your network subscription expires, you may connect to the network but not the internet.
You can connect your phone or another device to the same connection to double-check. If it isn’t working on any device, this is probably why.
10. Enable Network Pings
If your WiFi seems to have issues on your Onn TV frequently, you may need to enable network pings. This also allows your Onn TV to connect to WiFi automatically. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Go into the system operations menu. This is done by keying in a combination through your remote. You will have to press the home button five times then fast forward once. Next, press the play button once, the rewind once, and lay again. Lastly, hit the fast forward button once.
- A new menu comes up from where you select the systems operation menu.
- Scroll down and select the network menu.
- You will find an option that says, “Disable network pings.” You need to enable this.
- Select the option, and it will get enabled.
- Your Onn TV should now easily connect to WiFi.
Check out the list of the best streaming devices on Amazon now!
To make your Onn Roku TV connect to WiFi, restart or power cycle your TV first. Then make sure to restart your modem/router by turning it off and then on again.
Don’t forget to check all the cables leading to the TV and your WiFi module.
You can also reconnect to the WiFi network or use the Ethernet cable. If all fails to work, factory reset your TV either through the settings or using the TV’s physical reset button.
As disturbing as it is to be interrupted with WiFi issues during a movie, it can be easily solved. If you try out the solutions above, your Onn TV won’t have this issue for long.
Now, you can grab those snacks again and enjoy the rest of your movie night.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.