After a long day of work, we all love to lay back on our couches and put on a great movie to watch with the family. However, this precious time can be ruined when you switch on your Onn TV only to reveal a black screen.
The black screen issue with your Onn TV is most likely caused by a software glitch. To fix that, power cycle the TV by unplugging it from the wall outlet and then plugging it back in after 1 minute. If that didn’t work, factory reset your Onn TV either through the settings or using the TV’s physical reset button.
This problem may seem alarming, but there is nothing to worry about. We will guide you through the process of fixing the issue so you can get back to your relaxation. Check out the list of the best streaming devices on Amazon now!
Why is the Screen on your Onn TV Black?
If you switch on your Onn TV and get nothing but a black screen, there is nothing to worry about whether you hear the sound or not.
Several things could have gone wrong, but skimming through the solutions is pretty easy; it’s all a matter of trial and error until you find the problem. The screen of your Onn TV could be black for several reasons.
Here are some plausible causes of this problem:
- Your TV remote isn’t working, and the Onn TV hasn’t been switched on.
- The Onn TV needed to initialize once again.
- It requires a hard reset.
- The outlet that you plugged your TV into may not be working.
- Some of the wires are disconnected.
- Sleep timers are enabled.
- Source issues that occur due to external devices.
- Incorrect input settings.
There could be another causation as well, but we’ll provide all the solutions you need to get your TV working back to normal so you can enjoy that movie.
How to Fix a Black Screen on Onn TV?
The black screen issue can present itself in a number of ways. Absolutely nothing can be heard or seen, or you can listen to sounds but not see anything on the TV. No matter what the case is, we have got some solutions that are bound to work.
Here are some of the first things you should do if you discover a black screen on an Onn TV:
1. Soft Reset Your Onn TV
If you only reboot your TV occasionally, here is the most effective thing you can try to get your Onn TV up and running again:
- Unplug the power cable from the power outlet.
- Wait for at least 60 seconds.
- Hold down the TV’s power button for at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the TV back in.
Here is an alternative way to try to achieve the same goal if the TV has been turned off:
- Turn your TV off.
- Connect the TV to the power supply.
- Press and hold the Power key on the remote for 30 seconds while holding the remote close to the TV.
- Turn the TV back on.
2. Take a Look at all the Cables
If any cable is loose or disconnected, your Onn TV will definitely display a black screen. Take a look at all wires, from the HDMI to the power cable.
Make sure they are plugged in all the way, and there are no loose connections. It is best to reinsert them just to be sure.
Here is the list of things to inspect:
- Ensure all your cables and connections are firmly plugged in.
- Disconnect all the cables, make sure they are not dusty/dirty, and then place them back in.
- Use a different power outlet to determine whether the current outlet might be faulty. Ensure you use an external power cord, not a USB port on any device.
3. Check the Remote
At times, the problem lies in the batteries of your remote. Try swapping them with fresh batteries and turn it on with your remote again. If it still doesn’t work, turn it on manually through the power button.
If it starts working, there is probably an issue with your remote. A great indicator of the remote being the culprit is when the little light is visible at the bottom, but only the black screen can be seen.
Here is a checklist of everything that can be done to make sure your remote isn’t an issue.
- Ensure your remote batteries are fully charged and properly fixed.
- Press all the buttons on the remote a few times to make sure one of them is not stuck.
- If it’s a universal remote control, be sure to program the TV in the right way.
- Ensure no physical objects are obstructing or interfering with the signals from the remote.
Here is how you can power cycle your Onn TV remote:
- Take the batteries out of the remote.
- Press and hold the remote’s power button for 30 seconds.
- Place the batteries back in.
4. Turn Off the Sleep Timer
If your Onn TV screen tends to turn black randomly, you may have a sleep timer that turns it off. You can go into the settings and turn this off to solve the issue.
This will keep your TV from turning off until you do so manually.
Even if you think you never turned this setting on in the first place, we suggest you go to your TV settings and double-check.
5. Plug it Into a Different Outlet
Your outlet could also be a problem. If all other methods fail, try plugging the power cable into a different outlet. If it works, you may need to get the outlet fixed.
You don’t have to move your TV if it’s too problematic; simply grab an outlet extension cord to connect your Onn TV to a different outlet with ease.
6. Check Your Backlight
Place the TV in a dark room and use a flashlight to see whether the TV is displaying images. If you can see pictures, it means your backlight is faulty and needs replacing.
7. Factory Reset Onn TV
We will give you 2 ways of resetting your TV. The first one will require you to go into the TV’s settings if you can access the menu. The second one will be manual in case you can’t use the first one.
Factory reset Onn TV through the Settings:
- Press Home on your remote.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll all the way down to System.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Select Factory Reset.
- Click Factory reset everything.
- Enter the access code and press OK.
Factory reset Onn TV through the physical reset button:
- Turn the TV on.
- Locate the Reset button at the side/back of your TV.
- Take a pen/paperclip, press and hold the Reset button for about 20 seconds.
- Wait for the TV to reboot and the logo to more ap.
Factory resetting will reset all the TV setting back to when you only bought your TV, it is a very effective way to get rid of the black screen issue.
Onn TV Screen Goes Black, but Sound Still Works
A common issue on an Onn TV is when the sound plays, but the screen is black. It may be a little confusing because you know that the TV is working, but it isn’t displaying anything. This usually occurs due to two problems that you can quickly solve.
Change the Input Settings
On every Onn TV, you can change input settings. This determines where the sound plays and visuals appear. If you messed around with the settings, it is possible that your TV is just displaying the visuals in the wrong place.
Check your input settings or try each option if you’re not sure which the right one is. This could also point you to any issues with the source device.
Check External Devices
It is possible that there is nothing wrong with your Onn TV and the issue is from a source. Check if all of your external devices are connected correctly and working fine.
If you’re not sure what to do, restart the device or reboot it if possible, then restart your TV. Devices that can cause this issue include cable boxes and DVD players.
You can also find out whether external devices or your connections are the culprits by doing this:
- Unplug all HDMI and audio connections, including streaming sticks, consoles, and cable boxes.
- If this works, go ahead and plug each device in one at a time.
- Once you detect the culprit, please remove or replace it.
Remember to ensure you’ve firmly plugged your TV cables into the TV and power outlet.
Onn TV Screen Goes Black and No Sound
The screen on your Onn TV can go black and have no sound even though you tried the methods mentioned above. There’s no need to panic because this does not mean that your TV is broken.
Try the following methods to solve the problem.
Unplug and Restart
Sometimes, your Onn TV just needs to restart. To do this, unplug your Onn TV. Let it be for 60 seconds before plugging it in again. It should work fine in most cases.
If unplugging it didn’t work, you may need to try hard resetting. This is pretty similar to unplugging and restarting but with an extra step. It is done to drain out any power that is left in the device so that it starts normally.
Hold the Reset button located either on the side/back of your TV for 20 seconds. After this time has passed, let go of the button. The black screen issue will probably not return.
You can also do it by going to the TV’s Settings and factory reset your TV this way. But since you might not have access to your screen because of our black screen issue, we recommend pressing the physical reset button instead. Check out the list of the best streaming devices on Amazon now!
Restart with the Remote Key Combination
If all else fails, the Onn TV has a special feature that tackles this issue called the remote key combination that reboots your TV twice. It seems a little tricky but is pretty simple.
Here is what you need to do:
- Using your remote, switch on your Onn TV. You can also turn it on with the power button if you want to be sure that it’s on.
- Next, on the remote, press the Home button five times. Follow this with the up arrow once, the rewind button twice, and finally the fast forward button twice.
- Wait for a minute or two, and the TV should restart on its own and display the screen and play sound. If this does not happen, try the process again.
To sum up, the first thing you should do is to power cycle your Onn TV by unplugging it from the wall outlet and then plugging it back in after 1 minute. This will almost certainly fix the black screen issue.
If not, factory reset your Onn TV either through the settings or using the TV’s physical reset button. We explained in detail how to do that.
With these methods, it will be pretty simple to fix the black screen on an Onn TV. Try out these methods, and one of them is bound to work if you don’t have any hardware issues.
Within a few minutes, you’ll be able to sit back on the couch once again and enjoy that movie you’re dying to see with your loved ones.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.