Sony Bravia TVs typically have great color accuracy and are designed to give you the best viewing experience. However, like anything else on the planet Earth, they can break down. In particular, you might notice a black screen or no picture on your Sony Bravia TV when you least expect it. The good news is that we can help you to fix this issue fast.
So, how do I fix the black screen/no picture on Sony Bravia? You can reset the TV by plugging it out of the socket, waiting 1 minute, then plugging it back in, ensure your connected devices haven’t malfunctioned, set the picture panel calibration off, ensure there’s no HDMI connection issue, replace or fix the backlight, change the T-con board, update the firmware via USB, depending on the nature of the problem.
If you follow the right procedure, you can fix the black screen or no picture on your Sony Bravia in no minute. Read on for a step-by-step guide on how you can do this. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Why Is There No Picture on My Sony Bravia TV?
A temporary malfunction is likely the underlying reason there’s no picture on your Sony Bravia TV if you can see the indicator blink red. Devices connected to your TV can also cause the same issue, especially if they have malfunctioned and are causing an overload. A data connection issue can also have the same effect.
If the standby indicator is off, the power cord or AC adaptor could be loose or disconnected.
Problems with your HDMI connection can also lead to the failure of images connected to your devices from being displayed.
Moreover, an OLED Sony Bravia can also have similar image issues if it enters the standby mode to perform panel calibration.
Why Is My Sony TV Screen Black But Has Sound?
If your Sony TV screen is black but has sound, it might have encountered an error that only targets the sound system. This applies if the indicator turns red. In this case, you shouldn’t be concerned with the functionality of the power cord or AC adaptor.
It’s also possible that your TV’s backlight has malfunctioned and requires replacement. Problems with your HDMI connection are another potential guilty component.
Sony Bravia TV Turns On But No Picture, What to Do?
1. Reset the Television
If your Sony Bravia turns on but no picture, check whether its standby indicator blinks red. If so, you need to reset it. Here are the steps you need to follow to do this:
- Turn off the TV (wait for five minutes after turning the television off if it’s a projection TV that uses an internal lamp. This will allow the lamp enough time to cool before you can proceed to the next step).
- Unplug the TV power cord from your electrical outlet
- Allow the TV to remain without power for at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the mains lead back into the electrical outlet (Remember to remove your surge protector or power strip if the TV is plugged into one).
- Turn on your Sony Bravia
Related Post: How To Reset Sony Bravia TV(With/Without Remote)?
2. Check Whether the Connected Devices Have Malfunctioned
To check whether your connected devices are causing the issue and fix it, you should do this:
- Turn off the television
- Disconnect all your connected devices from the TV
- Turn on the television and ensure it no longer blinks red ( has no issues)
- If the TV has no issues, reconnect the disconnected devices to the TV one by one
- If the indicator starts blinking after you’ve connected a particular device, consider replacing it
3. Set the Picture Panel Calibration Off
For OLED TV screens that go blank after you turn on the television, you should ensure the Picture panel calibration is off by following these steps:
- Open the Setting menu
- Use the Quick Setting button (If your model was released in 2019 or later)
- Select the Settings icon
(To use the Home menu, press the Home button on the remote and select the Settings icon)
- Follow one of these steps, depending on your TV menu options:
- Select Device Preferences → Retail mode settings → Picture reset mode.
- Select Retail mode settings → Picture reset mode.
- Select System → Retail mode settings → Picture reset mode.
- Select Off
- Ensure There’s No HDMI Connection Issue
If there’s no picture when you are using an HDMI connection, you should troubleshoot the issue by doing this:
- Ensure the television is set to receive the HDMI signal. Press the input button on your remote repeatedly until you see the correct HDMI input displayed on the television.
- Ensure the connected device is turned on.
- Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. To do this, you should:
- Turn off your connected devices.
- Disconnect the HDMI input terminal on your Sony Bravia.
- Disconnect the cable from your HDMI output terminal on the connected device.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable to the same terminals on the devices and the TV.
- Turn on the television as well as the devices and then turn them off. Turn them on again.
- Ensure the input method of your audio systems corresponds with the video output device.
- Be sure the connected device is configured to output through the HDMI connection.
- Perform a power reset using the steps we’ve seen above.
- Try using a different HDMI cable.
Sony Bravia Backlight On But No Picture, What To Do?
Sony uses backlight Bravia from behind the panel to show pictures. This means it’s not working, and you should replace it.
If there’s too little backlighting, your TV might be on but produce no picture. Other factors we’ve considered above can also cause this issue. Some of these are a temporary malfunction, problems with your connected devices, and HDMI connection issues. If you suspect that any of these are the underlying issues, you can use the same tips we’ve discussed together above to fix them.
If everything appears ok, but you can’t spot images on the screen, you should consider whether the backlighting is not bright enough. Here’s how you can go about this:
1.Check the Backlight Brightness
- Power on the TV and set it on a channel that usually has quality pictures on it.
- On the remote control, press Menu. From the series of options that pop up, select Picture. Use the down arrow button to scroll through the selections until you reach Backlight.
- Use your right and left arrow buttons to increase the backlight. A slight adjustment should be able to fix the issue.
2. Replace the T-con board
- Unscrew the back of your TV first
- Locate the T-con board that is located in the middle of your TV, it should also match your TV’s serial number(you can check it in the top right corner of the board)
- Remove the panel to access the board
- Disconnect the white ribbon cables
- Replace the board, once again, check carefully if it is the right board type
3. Update your TV via USB
- Go to the Sony website, type in your TV model number, download the firmware updates
- Extract it and transfer it to your USB stick
- Plug the USB drive into the TV, power the TV on, and wait for the TV to read the drive and install the updates
- When the Sony light glows steady white light, it means the updates are installed
4. Reset your TV
- Unplug the power cord of your TV, wait for 30 seconds, plug it back in.
Sony Bravia Green Light On But No Picture, What to Do?
A solid green light on the front of your Sony Bravia means the television power is on. A green light that blinks whenever you press a button on the remote indicates that the TV receives signals from the remote. So, if your Sony Bravia is emitting the green light, but you can’t see any picture, you should go ahead and troubleshoot the issue.
Here are the steps that can help you fix it:
- Unplug the power cord of your TV, wait for 30 seconds, plug it back in(Recommended)
- Update your TV’s firmware via USB stick
- Your backlight might be malfunctioning or needs changing
- Disable all power-saving features from the menu
- Check whether your HDMI connection is in the right working condition
- Ensure neither the TV nor the connected devices have malfunctioned
- Set the picture panel calibration Off
- Reset the television
Note: We’ve seen the exact steps you need to achieve each of the goals above. Remember, each of the above points represents a possible solution. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
No matter the nature of your Sony Bravia’s screen problem, you can fix it. The back screen or no picture is one of the most common ones, but this issue should not scare you any longer now that you have the skills required to troubleshoot and fix it in minutes. Prioritize using these tips. If they don’t work for you, you’ll have a strong reason to believe your TV must be serviced.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.