The infamous Vizio TV black screen of death has struck your Vizio TV screen as you sit prepared to enjoy a large bag of popcorn. You sit across the screen and curse the blackness of it. You call up their helpline in an effort yet again to start streaming Vizio TV, but you fail to get a response.
How to fix a black screen issue on your Vizio TV? Turn your TV off, unplug it from the wall, on the back of the TV hold the power button for five seconds and release it, plug the TV back in. Check if your screen is muted by holding the mute button on your remote for 3-5 seconds.
The black screen is a well-documented problem associated with Vizio TV. With such a problem, you can try solutions before deciding to throw away your Vizio TV screen into the scrap. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
What Causes A Vizio TV Screen To Go black?
The most common source of Vizio TV black screen of death is a fault in one of the power supply boards of the TV. There are several components inside a TV, and one of them is the power supply board. A faulty inverter board, T-con boards, or incomplete solders can also possibly trigger this notorious problem. If we want to troubleshoot this problem, it is vital first to narrow down the issue itself. So let us perform a few tests to find out what the issue is first and foremost.
- Check all power connections in the TV first and ensure that the circuit is complete. Try turning the TV off and unplugging it before turning it back on. Please wait a few seconds before turning it back on. If it does not turn on, proceed to the next steps.
- Try pressing the Menu button on your remote. If the TV is showing a menu, it means the TV is working. In this case, there is a problem with one of the connected devices, make sure to disconnect everything you don’t need. If not, you will need to contact Vizio Support.
- Check whether the TV still has a sound. Please turn it on and try to tune into a channel that will certainly have a sound and make sure that the volume is up. If you can hear the sound, then there is power, although it is not complete.
- If there is no sound either, you have to check whether the LCD/LED screen is working by focusing a flashlight on the screen while it is running. If you see images on the screen, we can have inverter board issues upon shining the light. The backlight inverter board controls the lighting component of the TV, which makes the images appear on your screen.
How To Fix A Black Screen On A Vizio TV?
We discussed some of the possible reasons why your Vizio TV might have a black screen. Now it’s time to get to the most interesting part where we will tell you how to fix this issue.
1. Soft reset your TV
Unplug your TV for 60 seconds and plug it back in. I mention this fix in many of my tutorials, it is so simple, yet effective.
2. Power cycle your TV
This is a simple, yet quite an effective way to fix some of the software glitches that your TV might have had.
- Turn the TV off.
- Unplug your TV from the wall.
- Press and hold the “Power” button on the side of the TV for 5 seconds(or on the remote).
- Plug the TV back in.
- Power the TV back on.
3. Disconnect all unnecessary devices
If you have any other devices connected to your Vizio TV, make sure to disconnect all of them to see if they were causing the issue. Also, avoid using the power strip, plug your TV directly into the wall instead.
4. Unmute the screen
Some VIZIO TVs have a “Mute Screen” feature which allows you to turn off the screen if you are streaming an audio application (like Spotify) and don’t want the screen to distract you. To activate/deactivate this feature, hold the mute button on your remote for 3-5 seconds.
5. Try a different wall outlet
Sometimes a particular outlet might be at fault and not provide enough power for the TV, so try doing this step to eliminate this issue.
6. Check the cables
Firstly, you need to check all the cables attached to the back of the TV. This will sort out the problem with any external sources (if the problem was caused by them). Remove all the cables and then attach them properly.
Make sure you use high-quality HDMI cables. If the black screen still persists and you can still see the menu options after clicking the remote button, you must unplug all those external resources and power them on again. This will remove any temporary issues in those devices.
Also, make sure that your cables aren’t dirty or dusty, which can significantly hinder the connection and potentially cause the black screen issue. Get a can of compressed air and blow it into the HDMI socket to clean it out.
On top of that, you can apply a contact cleaner to the HDMI plug which will clean the contacts in the HDMI socket when inserted in.
7. Change the batteries in your remote
This sounds simple but has worked great for many people I know. On top of that, you can try to unplug your TV, and press all the buttons on your remote one by one to make sure one of them didn’t get stuck accidentally.
8. Unplug the motherboard
Before we get to our final solution, which is to replace the motherboard altogether, let’s try to just take it out and put it back in. Follow these simple steps:
- You will need to carefully unscrew all the screws from the back of your TV.
- Then locate your TV’s motherboard and disconnect all the cables and ribbon cables that are attached to it.
- Take the circuit board out.
- Make sure all the dust, if there is any, is gone and your motherboard is clean.
- Place the motherboard back into the TV.
- Make sure you plug all the cables back in properly.
While you are there, you can also check for any dust, dirt, or bent cables. Straighten anything that looks too twisted or bent.
9. Replace the motherboard
If you have tried the above methods and have a clue what the issue might be, we can proceed to the solutions. One of the most reliable fixes you can carry out is replacing the power board. While this task sounds intimidating at first, it is something anyone with minimal experience can carry out at home.
You will require:
- A soft cloth (ideally a towel) to protect your screen.
- A screwdriver of appropriate size according to your TV.
- A tray to put all the screws in so that you do not lose any.
Now carry out the following steps.
- Lay your TV face down on a smooth surface.
- Remove all rear screws using the screwdriver.
- Locate all fuses in the TV. Most have five fuses.
- If these fuses are blown, remove and replace them. Sometimes, fuses are the source of the problem instead of the board itself.
- Remove all connecting wires to the power board for a while.
- Now unscrew the power board and remove the older board.
- Place the new board into position and carefully screw it into the proper position.
- One by one, reconnect all removed wires.
- Reassemble the rear cover and screws of your TV and put it together again.
- Now plug in the television to a power source and test if the diagnostic works.
10. Talk to professionals
For those who have tried all of the other options and have not been able to get rid of the black screen of death, it is possible that the TV is to blame.
If you put a warranty on the TV, you should visit the Vizio website to request warranty service and get the issue checked out. You can still get the TV looked at without a warranty, but you should shop around to see what the best price is. You can also contact VIZIO support.
How To Fix Vizio TV’s Black Screen With Sound?
One of the in-built features all Vizio TVs have and that can cause the black screen issue is the mute screen option. You can conveniently enable and disable this feature by pressing the ‘mute’ button on your Vizio remote for around 5 seconds. So if your sound is working, but the display is not, you should first try to check whether the screen is mute or not.
You can mute the TV screen in this option, causing it to turn black temporarily until you disable the screen mute. This particular feature is also quite popular among users because it comes in handy while using music streaming.
For example, suppose you have a streaming service such as Spotify added to your Vizio TV. In that case, this feature allows you to play music in the background without distracting you with the display.
If your screen is not muted but still faces this issue, you can refer to the steps above to find a solution. You may treat this problem the same way you treated the black screen of death without sound. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Vizio TV is a trendy choice of TV because of its unique features and limitless streaming options. However, it is associated with its fair share of problems, as we can see above. If you happen to be an owner of Vizio TV and have run into the issue of black screen of death, you should not fear and try to run all the diagnostics first of all. If the fault still persists, you should visit a nearby service center to run some more diagnostics. There are many other solutions a technician can carry out to make your television come back to life.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.