Most Fire Stick remotes can control a TV’s volume settings, but this feature does not always work as smoothly as planned.
What to do if the Fire Stick volume isn’t working? Take the batteries out of the remote for 10 seconds and place them back in. On your TV, go to your Fire Stick Settings > Equipment Control > Manage Equipment > TV > Change TV. Check if your TV brand is correct. If not, select the right brand of your TV and click OK. Follow the on-screen instructions.
This article will walk you through the leading causes for such Fire Stick remote problems. In addition, it will also offer several tried and true solutions to get the TV volume working effectively with your Fire Stick remote. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Why Is the Fire Stick Remote Volume Not Working?
Faults in Firestick remotes are quite prevalent among users. Users experience this issue regularly. But if the problem is so common, why does it even occur? What causes it? Does this mean that your remote is now useless?
The most common one of these reasons is the infrared frequency. Since you are operating three different devices simultaneously, they all need to be on par with one another. If the infrared frequencies of the Firestick remote, our television, and the TV controller are mismatched, you will face some interference. This interference will cause your remote to malfunction at some commands.
Secondly, weak batteries in the remote can lead up to a faulty remote. Batteries can run out of juice over time. Some batteries are of low quality as well, so they can start malfunctioning sooner. Thus, unfit batteries could be another reason that your volume button does not work.
Lastly, the reason your volume button is not responding is that its rubber has worn out. If you have used this remote for around five years, the chances are that it has worn out. You will notice that some keys are more difficult to press than others, leading to functionality issues.
How to Get the Volume to Work on Your Firestick Remote?
There are various solutions to Fire Stick remote volume problems, so it is best to work through them from easiest to more advanced. Here is what you can do to fix any TV volume bugs affecting your Fire Stick remote control.
If you cannot find any volume buttons, this means you have an earlier model which does not support volume control. In this case, use your TV or speaker remote.
1. Change the Batteries
Change the Fire Stick remote batteries. Your Fire Stick remote’s batteries could be flat or low on power. Try replacing them with newer batteries.
Tip: Simply removing the batteries for 10 seconds and placing them back in can do the trick, try it.
2. Change the Equipment Control Settings
- On your TV, go to your Fire Stick and select Settings > Equipment Control > Manage Equipment > Add Equipment > TV. Follow the detailed on-screen instructions to finish the process.
- You can also check whether your TV is correctly set up to work with your Fire Stick remote. Go to Settings > Equipment Control > Manage Equipment > TV > Change TV. Check if your TV brand is correct. If not, select the right brand of your TV and click OK. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Go to Settings > Equipment Control > Manage Equipment > Advanced Settings > Home Button. Make sure that this section is set to IR and HDMI-CEC.
3. Reboot your Fire Stick
Press Select and Play to reboot your Firestick streaming stick. This procedure can fix a variety of problems you may be experiencing, including volume glitches.
As an alternative, on your TV go to the Fire Stick’s Settings scroll down and click My Fire TV and then scroll down and click Restart to restart your device.
4. Power Cycle your Fire Stick
This is an easy and effective way to tackle many Fire Stick issues, including this volume one. Simply unplug your Fire Stick from the power outlet, wait for a few minutes, plug it back in.
5. Manually Pair your Remote
It is possible that your Fire Stick remote somehow got disconnected from your TV. Follow the steps below to fix that.
- Unplug your Fire Stick.
- Plug in the Fire Stick and wait until it is completely booted up.
- Press and hold the home button for at least 10 seconds.
- Hold the button until the light at the top of your remote starts blinking quickly.
- After a few seconds, you should see a prompt with a message or blue light flashing thrice on your remote.
- Either way, it means that your device has been paired successfully, and you are good to go.
6. Reset your Fire Stick Remote
- Switch off your Fire Stick and TV.
- Unplug your Fire Stick from the power outlet for 1 minute.
- Press and hold the left button, menu button, back button on your remote for around 15 seconds.
- Wait for about five seconds.
- Remove the batteries from your remote.
- Plug in your Fire Stick back into the power supply and wait for 1 minute.
- Put batteries back into your remote.
- Finally, press the home button on your remote.
7. Soft Reset your TV
In the tips above we made sure that our Fire Stick and the remote are working fine, now it’s time to see if your TV is the problem. Let’s try to soft reset your TV to see if it will make any difference.
- Unplug your TV from the power source.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Plug your TV back in.
8. Factory Reset the Firestick
Use this option only as a last resort if nothing else works. It will remove all data, including settings, preferences, downloads, etc., from the device. However, it could fix your volume troubles.
- Turn on your TV and Fire Stick.
- Press and hold the Back button and the Right directional button for at least 10 seconds.
- Click Reset when you see the pop-up message.
- Wait a few minutes for it to finish.
9. Use your televisions’ HDMI-CEC port
It will allow the Firestick to control the volume of your TV. (You may have to enable support for audio control through the HDMI-CEC port on your TV’s native settings. You can find this on your TV’s Homescreen or the Settings/Action Menu.
You can read more on using the HDMI-CEC port and your Fire Stick in this article here. You will also learn how to control your Fire Stick and its sound without the remote.
10. Use a Different Remote
The TV or a sound system may be managing your volume control. Try using these remotes to operate the volume.
11. Remove Obstacles
An object may be blocking the IR receiver on your TV. Move the decorations and plants away from the TV and see if this works. Obstacles often block the IR receiver in Halloween or Christmas period when you have decorations in the house.
If the problem has not been dealt with after these solutions are applied, then you can use these next few steps to see if they work for you. These are some advanced solutions for the “volume button not working” problem.
12. Check the Mute Button
Press the Mute. Someone may have unknowingly pressed it on one of the remotes.
13. Switch Off the Dolby Digital Plus Setting
It is a sound setting that can improve the sound quality of some applications. Still, it can also make other apps quieter than normal. Disable this setting, by selecting Settings > Display and Sounds > Audio > Dolby Digital Output > Dolby Digital Plus Off.
14. Unpair Other Bluetooth Devices
If your Fire Stick supports Bluetooth devices, select Settings > Controllers & Bluetooth Devices > Other Bluetooth Devices and unpair all unnecessary devices. Too many devices connected to Bluetooth can also cause conflicts.
15. Use Alexa Voice Control
If you still cannot get the volume buttons to work, try using Alexa voice controls if the remote supports it. You will need the following phrases: “Alexa, increase the volume” and “Alexa, decrease the volume.”
How to Reset the Volume Control on a Firestick Remote?
If your remote is not working, try resetting it. Here is how you can do it on the Basic Edition Remote:
- Press and hold the Home button. Simultaneously, press the Menu button three times.
- Release the Home button.
- Now press the Menu button 9 times.
- Remove the battery from your remote.
- Unplug your Fire TV and wait for 60 seconds.
- Insert the batteries back into the remote and then switch your Fire TV on.
- Once the home screen appears, press and hold the Home key for 40 seconds.
- Wait for 1 minute until the setup completes.
Volume Buttons Not Working on Firestick Remote
In case your Volume keys are not working, there are many things you can do. We have described the possible ways of solving this problem below.
- Press the Mute. You or someone else may have unknowingly pressed it on the Fire Stick remote or one of your other remotes.
- Change the Fire Stick remote batteries. Your Fire Stick remote’s batteries could be flat or low on power. Try replacing them with newer batteries. Weak batteries translate to a weak connection between the device and the remote; thereby, resulting in some buttons working sometimes and other buttons not working at all.
- Remove obstacles. An object may be blocking the IR receiver on your TV. Try moving decorations and plants away from the TV and see if this works. Obstacles often block the IR receiver in Halloween or Christmas period when you have decorations in the house.
Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
The process of fixing your fire TV remote is not easy. However, it is also something you can do yourself. All you need is a step-by-step guideline such as this one that you can follow, and you will be good to go. It will probably not take you more than an hour to do so. If you are still unable to fix it, you can purchase a new one. It might cost you a little, but it will make your life easier.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.