Losing the Fire Stick remote is a very common occurrence. After all, its small size makes it prone to disappearing into the cracks of couches. If you’ve lost your remote, there’s nothing to worry about. There are several ways you can navigate your Fire Stick without its remote.
Will A Replacement Fire Stick Remote Work?
Yes, it will. Fire Stick can work with a variety of universal remotes as well as through the smartphone app, HDMI-CEC function, OTG dongle, Alexa, and Bluetooth connection. If you’ve lost your remote within your home, it’s almost certain that it will show up sooner or later. Till it does, you can borrow a remote from your friend or use the other methods we have explained ahead.
In case you lose your remote and you’re not sure if you’re going to be able to find it, you can simply get another remote. You can even use an older generation remote for your Fire Stick. Read ahead to find out ways you can connect your replacement remote to your Fire Stick.
Related Post: How To Control Fire Stick With TV Remote(Bluetooth/IR)?
How to Find a Lost Firestick Remote?
Let’s try to find your remote first, then, if you still can’t find the remote, we will give you the list of great ways to use your Firestick even without the remote while you are thinking about what to do next.
Manually Look for It
Yeah, I know it is kind of obvious, but give your house another good search before you give up. Unfortunately, there is no way you can track your remote, but we will give you a very useful tip for the future soon. The best thing to do in this case is to use your phone as a TV remote using the Fire TV app, but we will get to it soon.
When I last lost my Amazon Fire Stick remote( not the first occasion annoyingly), I found out that the sofa actually ate it. I had to look inside the sofa under the cushions and the sofa base, and there it was with many other disappeared items, so give it a go.
Use the Remote Finder
Here is the tip for the future as promised. It will not help you find the remote as of right now but will help eradicate the problem in the future. There is a variety of different remote finders on the market like Tile at the moment, so you can choose the ones that you like best.
Use a Bright Protective Case
It is always a good idea to use protective devices for your tech items in general. There are a lot of bright, and even glowing protective cases for your Fire Stick remote which not only look really cool but will also help you find your lost remote even in the dark.
What To Do If You Lost The Fire Stick Remote?
We live in the 21st century which provides a lot of ways for us to bypass using the Fire Stick remote in case you lost it. Here are a few of them, choose the one that will work best in your situation.
1. Connect Using the HDMI-CEC Function
Some new televisions come with the HDMI-CEC function. If your TV supports this feature, it will usually be activated by default. If not, you can activate it by turning it on in your TV’s settings. Different brands name this feature differently:
- Samsung calls it AnyNet+.
- Sony calls it Bravia Sync.
- LG calls it SimpLink.
- Philips calls it Easy Link.
HDMI-CEC allows you to control your Fire Stick using your TV and its remote. Though it doesn’t support complicated functions, it can help you carry out basic functions such as browsing menus, etc.
Here are the steps to follow:
- On your TV, go to Fire Stick Settings with the Fire Stick remote.
- Go to Display & Sounds.
- Go down to HDMI CEC Device Control.
- Turn it ON.
- Go back to your TV’s Home Screen.
- On your TV remote, press Settings.
- Find the CEC Setting.
- Make sure CEC is ON.
- Go to Connect.
- Your TV will recognize your Fire Stick and connect to it.
2. Connect Using the Fire TV App
Not many people know about this, but your Fire Stick Remote controls your Fire Stick using a WiFi Connection. If you’ve lost your Fire Stick remote, you can control your Fire TV using your smartphone. Follow the following instructions:
- Visit the Apple App Store/Google Play.
- Download the Amazon Fire TV app.
- Connect your phone and Fire Stick to the same WiFi network.
- Open the app and Select your device to connect to it.
- Log in with your Amazon account. Enter your credentials and click Sign In.
- The screen your Fire Stick is connected to will show a four-digit PIN.
- Enter this PIN into your app for the devices to connect completely.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
You should be able to now navigate the menus on your Fire Stick TV using the controls in the app. You can browse menus, play movies, and do pretty much everything you would be able to do with a remote.
This function is very convenient. You can utilize it to use your Fire TV temporarily while your replacement remote comes in the mail or when you feel too lazy to get the remote.
3. Connect Using the Hotspot
You might end up losing your remote while you’re traveling. This shouldn’t stop you from using your Fire TV, though!
Since you aren’t at home, you’re Fire Stick probably won’t automatically connect to the WiFi there unless you’ve already configured it. If you have, good for you: you can go ahead and use the above method to use your TV stick.
If you haven’t, you can still use your smartphone to control your Fire Stick. However, there are a few added steps you will need to follow, and you are going to need an extra smartphone.
You will need 2 phones to make this work. Use the extra smartphone to set up a hotspot with the same name and password as your network at home.
- Go to WiFi and Network > Hotspot and Tethering > WiFi Hotspot.
- Rename the hotspot to the exact same WiFi network that your Fire TV was previously connected to.
- Change the password to the same one as the home network.
- This should trick your Fire Stick to recognize it as your home network and automatically connect to it.
- Connect your other smartphone with the Fire Remote App to the same network.
- Open the Fire TV Remote app, and you should see your Fire Stick TV listed.
- Tap on your Fire TV Stick in the app to pair your phone with it.
- Your TV screen should show a four-digit PIN. Enter this into your app for verification.
Tip: You can only use your Android phone, Windows PC or MAC for this method, as the iPhone doesn’t support changing WiFi SSID.
4. Connect Using a Replacement Remote
You can pair your Fire Stick with an old remote you may have lying around or one you’ve borrowed from a friend. To do this, you’ll first need to hard reset the remote.
- Press and hold Back, Menu, and Left on your remote for 15 seconds and remove the batteries.
- Restart your Fire Stick, put back the batteries in the remote, and press the Home button.
These steps should connect your remote to your Fire Stick.
5. Connect Using the Mouse/Keyboard
Along with controlling your Fire Stick using your smartphone, you also have the option of using a mouse or keyboard to do so.
You can connect an extra mouse or keyboard to your Fire Stick using wires or Bluetooth. If you want a wired connection, you are first going to need an OTG dongle.
- Connect the USB OTG connector to your Fire Stick and the power supply as well.
- Connect your mouse or keyboard to the other end.
- Use your mouse/keyboard to navigate around and connect your new remote.
You can follow the same steps to connect an air mouse or a wireless mouse/keyboard that uses a receiver dongle.
6. Connect Using Bluetooth Devices
Since the Fire Stick has built-in Bluetooth, you can connect a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse to it very easily. However, you will first need to connect your Fire Stick app to your Stick first.
Here is how to use a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard with your Fire Stick:
- Go to Settings > Remotes & Bluetooth Devices > Other Bluetooth Devices > Add Bluetooth Devices.
- Select your Bluetooth accessory and wait for it to connect.
7. Connect Using Alexa
Here is another way for you to control your Fire Stick in case you can’t locate your remote.
- Go to the Alexa app on your phone,
- Select the More tab.
- Under Alexa Preferences, select TV & Video.
- Click Fire TV from the list of options.
- Click Link Your Alexa Device, then follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
Now you can use your voice to control your Fire Stick through your Alexa device.
Related Post: How To Use Your Fire Stick Without The Remote?(4 Ways)
How To Pair A New Fire Stick Remote?
To pair a new replacement remote for your Fire Stick, you will have to first connect your Fire Stick with a temporary remote such as your phone or mouse. Then follow these steps:
- Go to Settings, Select Controllers & Bluetooth Devices, Choose Amazon Fire TV Remotes, and select Add New Remote.
- Hold the Home button on your new replacement remote for 10 seconds and wait for it to show up on your Fire Stick.
- Select the new remote’s name and wait for confirmation that it has successfully paired.
Can You Use A Universal Remote With A Fire Stick? How?
There are numerous Universal remotes available in the market that can be used as a replacement for your Fire Stick TV.
Universal remotes come in a variety of price points, functionality, and versatility. They can interact with your Fire Stick via WiFi, Bluetooth, or Infrared. Because of the variety, each of them has to be used differently, so it is best to refer to the instruction booklet or manufacturer’s guidelines while using them.
Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Related Post: How To Easily Connect Firestick To WiFi Without Remote?
There are numerous ways to use your Fire Stick in case you’ve misplaced your remote. You can easily utilize your phone, an old remote, or a mouse/keyboard to ensure you do not miss your favorite content when you want it.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.