Do you know that you need a TiVo remote to access your favorite shows conveniently, whether you are using OTA DRVs, cable DVRs, streaming players, or any other device? So, the TiVo remote not working is a serious issue. However, you don’t need to be worried since we have the solution.
How to Fix TiVo remote? Check the remote’s direction, fix RF mode-related issues, check for obstacles and interferences, consider your battery’s suitability, reboot, and factory reset the remote. If the issue persists, seek professional help.
Once you know why your TiVo remote is not working, you can fix the remote. Please keep reading for the potential reasons, and other details to you need to fix it. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
Why Is TiVo Remote Not Working?
If your TiVo Remote is not working, you should troubleshoot the underlying cause of this problem to avoid guesswork. Some of the significant potential reasons for this are:
Red Light: IR Mode
Sometimes, you can mistakenly think the remote has malfunctioned if you aren’t pointing it in the right direction. This is often the problem if the remote is in IR mode. You can tell this is the issue if you press any button and see a red light at the tip of the remote.
Amber Light: RF Mode
If you press any button and see the amber light instead of red, your remote is in RF mode. This means the handheld device can only communicate with a specific TiVo to which it has been paired. So, if you recently replaced the remote or TiVo box, this is most likely the issue.
Signal Interference and Blockages
Physical blockages between your TiVo remote and the TiVo box can block the signals and give you the same result. Some electronic devices or remotes can also interfere with your TiVo remote. For example, if you’ve switched on your DVD player’s remote, it might affect the functionality of your TiVo devices.
As you likely know, your TiVo remote relies on batteries to function. So, if they are discharged, or you’ve installed the batteries wrongly, the remote won’t work.
It’s also important to note that RF mode consumes more power than IR mode. That means you should also check your batteries if you are having trouble with RF mode. You should also check the batteries if you see no light when you press any button on the remote.
How to Fix TiVo Remote?
If you want to fix your TiVo remote, you now know what could save you. Here are the specific steps that you should follow to achieve your goal:
1. Check the Direction of the Remote
To do this, you should:
- Press any buttons on your supplied TiVo remote.
- If the remote flashes RED light, point it more directly at the TiVo box.
- It should work after doing that.
2. Fix the RF Mode-Related Issues
If you see amber light, instead of red light, as you press any button as we’ve seen above, you should find the best way to deal with the issues caused by the RF mode. You have two options.
- Ensure you are using the remote with the TiVo box that it was paired with.
- If you can’t access the paired box, pair the one you have to use RF mode. To do this, you should do this:
- On the official TiVo remote, press the TiVo Central button.
- Select Menu.
- Choose Settings.
- Select Remote, CableCARD & Devices.
- Choose Remote Control Setup.
- Opt for Pair your remote with your TiVo box.
- Follow the simple on-screen instructions.
That’s all, but you should also check the batteries to ensure they can serve you well. Otherwise, the problem might persist since this mode requires a lot of power.
In short, if you replaced the remote or TiVo box recently, you most likely need to follow the steps above and check whether your batteries are charged.
3. Clean the Remote’s IR Sensor
This solution is free and can be implemented very easily. Simply blow on the sensor of your remote to make sure it is clean and ready to work. If you are tech-savvy, you can also check out the IR sensor on your TV to make sure it is not dusty and the cables leading to it are properly plugged in.
4. Remove Obstacles and Interferences
If the problem persists, you should check whether there are obstacles between the remote and TV box. For example, check whether there is a cabinet between your devices. If you find any, remove it.
If that’s not enough, consider whether other remotes and devices are interfering with the signals. For example, if your gaming console or DVD remote is on, you should switch it off.
5. Check Batteries
You can check the batteries at any time. However, when the remote indicator light at the tip of the remote does not produce any light, you shouldn’t forget to apply this method.
Here’s what you should remember to do:
- If you find that the batteries are discharged, properly replace them.
- Check whether the batteries are inserted in the correct direction.
- If nothing works, remove the batteries for a few minutes and reinsert them.
You can also try pressing each remote’s button a few times one by one to make sure that no button accidentally got stuck and was draining energy.
6. Power Reset your TV
Resetting is a very effective way to fix any remote-related issue, so let’s try to do that.
- Remove the batteries from your remote.
- Unplug the TV from the wall.
- Wait 60 seconds.
- Plug the TV back in.
- Wait till the TV comes back on.
- Put the batteries back in the remote, see if it worked.
7. Factory Reset
If changing and reinserting the batteries and rebooting the remote didn’t work, do the following to reset it:
- Press the Pause and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the indicator lights red or amber.
- Press the Thumbs Down button thrice.
- Hit the Center button.
- Wait for a few minutes as the remote resets.
8. Install the Remote Control App
This step alone won’t solve the problem, but if you can control the TV from your smartphone without any problems you can roll out the problem of the TV software. You can even continue using the app if you can’t fix your TiVo remote.
TiVo Remote Volume Not Working, How To Fix It?
If your TiVo remote volume is not working, you should:
1. Check the Batteries
If you’ve used the batteries for more than a year, they are likely too weak and can negatively impact the volume. Replace them with new ones.
If you recently changed the batteries, do this:
- Open the battery case.
- Take out the batteries.
- Clean the battery compartment.
- Reinsert the batteries.
- Ensure the batteries are correctly installed.
The TV could be having a hard time launching correctly. This can affect the volume buttons. To reboot it, you should:
- Switch on the TV.
- Allow it to work for at least five minutes.
- Remove the power cord from the power outlet.
- Wait for five minutes again.
- Switch on the TV.
3. Resynchronize the TV and Remote
It could be that the TV and remote haven’t been appropriately synchronized. To fix it, you should:
- Switch the TV on while the TiVo is connected.
- Press the Pause and Back arrow button at once.
- Wait for a few minutes as the devices synchronize.
Some Buttons on TiVo Remote Aren’t Working, How to Fix it?
If you’ve done everything without success, some of your buttons might not be working. The wires that connect the internal components might have been damaged or aren’t working as required. If you’re not a technician, get in touch with one or replace the remote. Check out the list of the Best Streaming Devices on Amazon now!
If you’ve been struggling to fix your TiVo remote that’s not working, you now know how what you should do. We’ve provided all the details you need to do this and guidance on when to call a technician.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.