Is Freeview giving you problems when you’re trying to use it on your TV? Is your picture pixelating, or is the sound breaking up?
How to fix your Freeview if it stopped working? Disconnect your TV/set-top box from the power outlet, wait for a few minutes, plug them back in.
Numerous factors can cause problems with Freeview, and through this tutorial, we will provide you with step-by-step solutions to help resolve all of them. Check out the best streaming sticks on Amazon that won’t let you down!
Why Has Freeview Stopped Working on My TV?
Problems while running Freeview can be due to the following:
- There is a problem affecting Freeview services in your area.
- There is a fault with the transmitter.
- Your locality has poor signal coverage.
- There is an installation problem.
- There is a software problem.
- Your device has to be retuned.
Why is Freeview Play not Working?
- The most common reason for Freeview play not working is a software error.
Ensure your TV is running the latest version of firmware provided by the manufacturer.
To do this, you will need to visit your TV’s Settings, select Support and check for any Software Updates. Install any updates that are available and see if your issue is resolved.
- Another issue that can cause Freeview to stop working is a problem in their network.
Sometimes mishaps or maintenance can cause planned or unplanned disruptions in the service. Visit Freeview’s website at https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/updates-alerts to see if there’s any news of service disruption in your area.
If so, there’s nothing you can do. Just give Freeview some hours to get everything up and running again. If not, move on to the steps ahead.
How to Get Freeview to Work?
Now that you know about the possible causes of the issue with your Freeview, let’s finally get to the solutions.
1. Check the Cables
The first thing you should do is disconnect and reconnect all wiring to and from your TV and set-top box. Ensure all the required connections are made, and there is no visibly damaged wiring.
2. Check the Input
Check that your TV is set to the Source or Input you want it to be on. Try switching the Source or Input to TV, AV, Digital TV, or DTV if it isn’t already on one of them.
3. Check your Internet Connection
Freeview also requires a stable internet connection of at least 2 Mbps to function smoothly. Ensure that your TV or set-top box is connected to a working internet connection.
You can do this by running other apps on your smart TV and seeing if they load and run smoothly. You can also check Channel 100 and 264 as they are channels that work using the internet.
Them being down means you have an internet issue. Additionally, you can use other devices around your house to ensure your internet isn’t down.
4. Power Cycle your TV
Try power cycling your TV.
- Disconnect the TV from its power supply as well as any connected devices.
- Press and hold your TV remote’s power button for 1 minute.
- Plug in your TV and turn it on again to check if Freeview is working correctly again.
This should reset all the hardware components of your TV and solve the problem if any of them were causing the issue.
How to Fix Freeview no Signal?
Not it is time to tackle the issue when your Freeview says it has no signal.
1. Choose the Right Input
If you’re facing a “No Signal” message that is not due to an incorrect Source or Input being selected, then it’s very likely caused by an antenna fault or setup fault.
2. Fix Reception issues
Reception issues can also cause missing channels or a decrease in viewing quality.
Common causes of reception issues are:
- Faults with the antenna such as the UHF aerial being incorrectly aligned or obstructed, satellite dish being poorly positioned or obstructed, corrosion in parts of the antenna due to constant exposure to the elements.
- Faults with the cabling or connections including loose connections from the antenna cable to the TV.
3. Wait it Out
Additionally, severe weather can cause a disruption in the signals.
If your area faces severe weather, try using Freeview once the weather has subsided. If your problem persists after the weather has gotten better, it may be possible that your aerial or satellite dish got damaged by the weather.
You will need to get a local technician to have a look if this is the case.
You should also get your antenna checked if you regularly have reception issues with your Freeview.
How to Reset Freeview Set-Top Box?
Rebooting your set-top box can solve many problems in Freeview.
1. Turn it Off/On
- Switch off the power to your device and let it be for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the power back on, and the box should reboot its software.
This usually fixes the problem in case the issue is software-related.
However, if you’re still facing problems, you should go ahead and try doing a full reboot and retune. The wordings of the options may vary slightly depending on your device, and the instructions ahead should help you do it.
2. Perform a Full Reboot
- Disconnect the device’s aerial for a few minutes.
- Go to Menu, Programmes, and choose to Retune/Rescan.
- Your TV or box will display a warning saying that you will lose existing channels and you should select confirm to go ahead.
- With the aerial not connected, your TV or set-top box will not find any new channels to store and will effectively clear its memory.
- Turn off the device’s power source again for about five minutes before reconnecting the aerial lead and turning the box back on.
- Once your device has restarted, go to the Menu and choose to Retune/Rescan again.
When it’s done returning, check whether your device is functioning right again and if the complete range of channels is available.
What to do if Freeview Still Doesn’t Work?
If your problem still persists, the best course of action would be to contact the customer care line of your TV or set-top box manufacturer.
They would be able to guide you in locating and solving the problem.
Alternatively, you can get a local vendor or technician to have a look at your setup and check what went wrong. Check out the best streaming sticks on Amazon that won’t let you down!
Related Post: Why Can’t I Get All Freeview Channels?(Fix It Today)
In short, if you face any issue with your Freeview, you should check and reconnect all wiring, check the position of your aerial, and reboot and retune your TV.
Hi there, technology lovers! My name is James, I am an admin and a frequent writer for this blog. I am a techno-geek, so this blog is the place where I want to share all my knowledge with you to make your life a little bit easier in terms of dealing with technology.